US newspapers push back against Trump attacks

0
84

(16 Aug 2018) Newspapers across the U.S. are pushing back against President Donald Trump’s attacks on “fake news” with a coordinated series of editorials speaking up for a free and vigorous press.
The campaign was set in motion by an editor at the Boston Globe, which argued in its own editorial that Trump’s label of the media as the enemy of the people “is as un-American as it is dangerous to the civic compact we have shared for more than two centuries.”
Trump denounced the effort on Twitter, saying the Globe was in collusion with other newspapers.
Meanwhile, the U.S. Senate on Thursday passed a resolution with no objections stating that “the press is not the enemy of the people.”
The New York Times encouraged readers to subscribe to a local newspaper.
While the Chicago Sun-Times said it believed most Americans know that Trump is talking nonsense.
It was not clear how many newspapers participated. Marjorie Pritchard, the editor who launched the campaign, said earlier in the week that some 350 news organizations indicated they would, but she did not immediately return messages on Thursday.

Find out more about AP Archive:
Twitter:
Facebook:
Google+:
Tumblr:
Instagram:

You can license this story through AP Archive:

source

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here