These sweet potato tater tots are so easy to make! All you have to do is mix the ingredients together, form a tater tot, and bake. These healthy tater tots make a great side dish for any meal as well as a fun dinner idea for the kids.
Delicious Sweet Potato Tater Tots
These healthy sweet potato tater tots came to life because as we were planning for fall recipes (which we do at the beginning of summer) we knew we wanted to create a delicious healthy tater tot hotdish recipe.
In anticipation for our tater tot hot dish, we had to create a delicious new sweet potato tater tot recipe. HERE IT IS. We love this recipe because it is easy to make and you have the option of making these tots vegan or you can add an egg for extra crispiness.
I’ll be honest, prep time for these little guys is a process, just because you have to mold all the tater tots individually. Honestly, it was a pretty peaceful process. Meditative because you can’t be on your phone. It’s just you and the tater tots. LOL
- Sweet Potatoes – we use two small sweet potatoes for this recipe. Our sweet potatoes are orange but you can use white sweet potatoes, too.
- Almond Flour – this recipe is gluten free. We use blanched almond flour. Be sure not to use coarse almond flour. The blanched almond flour is light in color and very fine.
- Garlic Powder – garlic makes the world go round.
- Sea Salt– salt brings out all of the best flavors of the sweet potatoes.
- Olive Oil– we use olive oil as the fat in the tater tot.
Directions at a Glance
- Grate the sweet potatoes with the smallest grate. Place the sweet potatoes in a bowl and sprinkle them with salt to draw the moisture out of the week potatoes. After the sweet potatoes have sat, place the sweet potato shreds in a tea towel and squeeze the moisture from the sweet potatoes.
- Add the sweet potatoes, garlic powder, and olive oil to a bowl and mix until combined and forms a ball.
- Use a teaspoon to scoop out a heaping scoop of sweet potato mixture. Form a tater tot with your fingers and place on a greased pan. Repeat until the sweet potato mixture is gone. Sprinkle tater tot with olive oil.
- Bake the sweet potato tater tots at 400ºF for 10 minutes then flip. Bake for an additional 10 minutes.
Tips for Making Tater Tots
- Make sure to FINELY grate the sweet potatoes potatoes and let them sit with a bit of salt to draw out any additional moisture.
- Season grated potatoes with your favorite spices or spice mix for some fun added flavor.
- If tater tots are not forming, add an egg or a flax egg. This should bind the mixture together, making the tater tots easier to form.
- Spray a baking sheet with olive oil or use parchment paper to avoid any sticking.
- Flip tater tots halfway through bake time to ensure both sides get a little crunchy.
- Make a delicious dipping sauce for tater tots. We highly recommend this Greek yogurt pickle dip.
- 2 small sweet potatoes peeled (2 cups shredded)
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 egg beaten*
Preheat oven to 400ºF and spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
Use the second smallest grate size on your cheese grater and grate sweet potatoes. Place shredded sweet potatoes in a bowl and mix with a pinch of salt and let sit for 10-15 minutes to draw out moisture.
Next, place sweet potato in two layers of paper towel and squeeze the moisture out of the sweet potato over a sink. Squeeze as much moisture out as possible.
In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mix sweet potato with the rest of the ingredients (except olive oil). Mix well.
Use a teaspoon to scoop out a heaping scoop of sweet potato mixture. Form a tater tot with your fingers and place on a greased pan. Repeat until the sweet potato mixture is gone. Sprinkle tater tot with olive oil.
Bake for 10 minutes then flip. Bake for an additional 10 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- For a crispier tater top, add an egg!
Calories: 31kcal Carbohydrates: 3g Fat: 2g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 1g